Tuesday 14 March 2023

re-playcing goes public

Ruth Singer has arranged an online exhibition for us to share what we have been doing during our Maker Membership so far

I have chosen my re-playcing collection - although it started as part of Place-Making, the idea of rewilding the collected objects came about through the Maker Membership

this has meant producing a brief artist's statement and some text to accompany the work exhibited, as well as attempting to take some good photos to submit

writing the statement, in 150 words or less, was a very useful exercise - making me give serious thought to what i tried to achieve through this work - ordering and condensing my rambling thoughts was really helpful - i feel this will have a longer-term influence as i now have a greater sense of purpose for what i do:

 

I stitch by hand to tell stories, share ideas and explore themes which influence my life. Recently these have included family history and re-discovery of my immediate neighbourhood.

Reclaimed cloth and meaningful objects are my usual starting point for stitch, which I add to embellish and build structure. I include other media and techniques like eco-dyeing and printing, when I feel the subject needs them.

I make for myself, for pleasure and reflection, often starting with research before letting work develop organically.

Through Maker Membership I am building confidence in following my own meandering path. One result of this is “Replaycing” which started as explorations during Place Making with Alice Fox. I collected objects which I wrapped and cherished. These will be “re-wilded” for others to collect and treasure.

Replaycing – The discarded detritus of people's lives and gifts from nature, collected and lovingly adorned before being returned for others to discover and cherish or discard.....again.

I see waste as an abuse of what we could use and value. Some see stitching as wasted time and energy, here I use it to add value to what I find. 




Pockets for Replaycing - Made from my own eco-dyed fabric and natural yarns, these pockets will hold my collected objects in places where I hope they will be found. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

re-playced - 4

 a twig with lichen this replaycing marked a change of approach - i fell able to let go of my little treasures now, so i have stopped record...